So the Nuggets I managed to gather in May was so much that my June issue wasn’t big enough. Herewith the second instalment of my June 2011 SharePoint Nuggets.
Hope they spark some thought, discussion and potentially safe you some time.
SharePoint 2010 Administration
- I ran into an issue about not being able to create a secure store key: "An error occurred during the "Generate Key" process" I read the following articles (http://www.heyweb.net/2010/09/sharepoint-2010-secure-store-service-error/, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010general/thread/559f72a4-d9ca-4004-b5ca-a0fa6dbad51f, http://www.spjeff.com/?p=480 and http://sharepoint.nauplius.net/2010/09/secure-store-service-error.html. After reading them I realised that something with AppPool wasn’t right. I reviewed this via the service application properties option and updated it to use the SecurityTokenService application pool. I then logged in with the correct account and it worked.
- How to generate GUID when configuring Secure Store? SELECT NEWID()
- When updating service accounts via the _admin/FarmCredentialManagement.aspx page beware that SharePoint does a couple of things in the background. For the user profile sa for example, all custom mappings and sync connections are wiped clean. Note: After restarting the services, all settings are returned to normal.
- In MOSS 2007 a user with Farm Administrator rights will not have the "Create Web Application" link unless he / she is in the local administrators group of the SharePoint server hosting Central Administration. (I know this is related to older version, just FYI)
SharePoint 2010 Licensing
- Cannot edit SPD Workflows in Visio without premium edition – https://msmvps.com/blogs/sundar_narasiman/archive/2010/10/29/visio-2010-does-not-show-option-to-create-sharepoint-2010-workflows.aspx
SharePoint 2010 for ITTPro’s
- Cool SQL queries to READ info from SPS – http://vspug.com/ethan/2007/09/16/inspecting-the-sharepoint-content-database/
- Removing the "Recently modified" sidebar from the wiki library sections: http://johndandison.com/blog/post/2010/01/25/Removing-the-e28098Recently-Modifiede28099-from-the-Quick-Launch-e28093-SharePoint-2010.aspx
- PUBLISHING ISSUES: If you run into monster publishing page issues, then ensure that you enable "Publishing" and "PublishingSite" features. ( Guids in here – http://www.sharepointfix.com/2010/11/sharepoint-2010-publishing-feature-guid.html)
SharePoint 2010 and InfoPath 2010
- InfoPath string functions (toUpper etc) via translate() http://arichterwork.blogspot.com/2008/04/comparing-infopath-fields-case.html
- Did you know: To preview a complex form in InfoPath without publishing it to SharePoint, simply update the trust settings to enable "FULL TRUST" verses "DOMAIN TRUST"
- Managing Digital Assets (TechNet article): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee414276.aspx
- Calculated Columns references – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb862071.aspx