I’ve probably blogged about this ten times, but I keep running into more and more interesting scenarios with this “admittedly” very complex service, the infamous User Profile Synchronisation.
In this scenario there was a mix-up with passwords and the accounts that were running the various services and management agents had changed / were locked or a combination of both.
The symptom for the users were simple; Changes made in Active Directory were not being populated through to SharePoint. This was causing havoc with the K2 business processes (dependant on reporting lines and departments) to name one element.
Upon initial investigation the user profile synchronisation service application seemed to have “stopped”. Weird I know, but there is more. When going into the “Manage” link within the service applications management page, the user profile synchronisation status read – “User Profile Synchronisation is being provisioned”. This message never changed. Under services on server, the user profile synchronisation service was also stuck on “Starting”. Note: Don’t confuse this starting with the ones documented in other deployment scenarios.
In order to resolve this mess, I completed the following steps:
- Manually re-enabled two services via the services console, namely “Forefront Identity Manager Service” and “Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Service”
- This was done, by also updated the “Log-On” element with the correct user credentials. The services started.
- I then navigated to the Manage User Profile Service Application page and clicked on “Configure Synchronization Connections”.
- In this page, I updated the credentials of the user that is used to synchronise. Failing to do this step will cause your event log to blow up like a Christmas tree as the synch service will execute but the actual agent traversing Active Directory will not be correct. For more information on the actual agent running behind the show, have a look at the application ("miisclient”) in this directory:
“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Synchronization Service\UIShell”
- I then executed a incremental update and all was well again.
I’ve read up quite a bit on this service and when it works I am super amazed at the technicality of it all. On a side note, I really wish that Microsoft at some point bring out a simple way to store pictures in once place and synchronise them across Exchange, Lynch and SharePoint.